Natural remedies for flu control
Flu is a contagious respiratory illness by influenza virus, It will spread through air from one person to another.
Signs and symptoms of flu may include:
- runny nose
- muscle or body aches
we can’t say flu is specific to this age group people or to this race people it will attack anyone especially young children, pregnant women and adults 65 years old and older are at greater risk of developing serious flu-related complications
It can be treated Conventional flu treatment includes antiviral drugs and vaccines. These vaccines can cause side effects and often contain dangerous chemicals and preservatives. On rare occasions, they may even cause severe allergic reactions.
Recently CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION made some additions to the 2007 guidelines on nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to protect oneself and others against the flu. Some of the recommendations for personal NPIs include:.
- Staying home if you’ve been exposed to a sick family or household member.
- Staying home when you’re sick
- Covering your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
- Washing your hands or using hand sanitizer.
- Covering your nose or mouth with a mask or cloth if you are sick and have to be around others at a community gathering of people.
Implementing these behaviors can help stop the spread of flu. You may be wondering how to get rid of the flu in 24 hours without medicine. If you or a loved one already has the flu, read on below for some home flu natural remedies you can use to find relief from your symptoms.
1. Vitamin C
- Vitamin C helps with immune system function and boosts white blood cells.
- Take 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C daily to ward off a cold or the flu and up to 4,000 milligrams daily when you are experiencing symptoms.
- Eat whole fruits and vegetables.
2. Vitamin D
- Vitamin D is produced in the body by sunlight and regulates the expression of over 2,000 genes, including those of the immune system. Recent research shows that low vitamin D levels are linked to higher rates of cold, flu and respiratory infections.
- Many physicians believe that current recommended daily amounts of vitamin D are far too low, and that 2,000 rather than 200-400 units per day is a better choice.
- To treat cold or flu, take 2,000 units per kilogram of body weight once a day for three days.
- You can also order home tsting kits to test your vitamin D levels.
3. Echinacea (King of Bitters)
- This herb can help your body fight off infections, but it is best to take it at the first sign of illness.
- Researchers have proven it to be as effective, if not more so, as oseltamivir (Tamiflu®) at fighting respiratory infections.
- Echinacea acts as an anti-inflammatory, which can help reduce bronchial symptoms of cold and flu.
- Echinacea directly attacks yeast and other kinds of fungus.
- Different preparations have different concentrations of echinacea. Some common preparations and dosages include:
- Tablets containing 6.78 milligrams of echinacea extract, two tablets three times a day.
- 900 milligrams of Echinacea root tincture daily.
- Five to six cups of echinacea tea on the first day of symptoms, and then 1 cup a day thereafter.
4. Elderberry (Sambucus nigra)
- It is believed that this herb can de-activate the flu virus and naturally boost immunity.
- The flowers and berries of elderberry are said to boost the immune system, treat flu and relieve sinus pain.
- Elderberry does seem to attack flu viruses and reduce bronchial inflammation. A preliminary study found that it reduced severity and length of flu symptoms when given at the first signs of symptoms.
5. Oregano Oil
- Oregano oil has a powerful antiviral effect.
6. Zinc (50-100 mg daily)
- Zinc supports immune function and has an antiviral effect. (5) It works best when taken at the first sign of illness.
- Zinc may lessen the symptoms of the cold virus but excessive amounts aren’t good for you. Zinc pills and sprays do not seem to be effective.
- Take 50-100 milligrams of zinc daily to ward off or treat cold and flu symptoms.
7. Brewer’s Yeast
- Brewer’s yeast contains B vitamins, chromium and protein. It is used for cold, flu and other respiratory tract infections.
- Brewer’s yeast stimulates intestinal enzymes to help relieve diarrhea, fights bacteria in the intestines and improves immune response to viruses that infect the lungs.
- Research has found that Brewer’s yeast reduces the risk of getting a cold or the flu and helps symptoms dissipate more quickly.
8. Essential Oils for Flu
- Rubbing peppermint and frankincense essential oil to the neck and bottoms of the feet can naturally support the immune system. Also, clove oil can protect the body against infection and can speed recovery from the flu.